Egypt-ALSharqiya July 9: The container ship that ran aground in the Suez Canal last March and has been detained there since then, Wednesday, moved to sail and finally resumed its journey after its owner and insurance companies reached a settlement with the Canal Authority.
The Suez Canal Authority had announced that Ever Geffen would be released on Wednesday, and that a ceremony would be held at the authority to celebrate the departure of the ship carrying about 18,300 containers.
Sources in the Suez Canal said that two tugs and two senior canal guides escorted the ship, which was examined and ensured its safety and its readiness to sail.
The authority signed a settlement contract with the representatives of Ever Given, according to which the ship's owners and insurance companies paid financial compensation to the authority for the damages caused to the navigational course, and the rescue operation that it carried out.
Upon signing, the commission's lawyer, Khaled Abu Bakr, said that the agreement, whose terms the commission is obligated to keep confidential, fully preserves its rights.
The Ever Given, one of the world's largest container ships, ran a diagonal angle in the canal for six days, blocking the passage of ships and disrupting global trade.
Ever Given, which is 400 meters long and has a payload of 219,000 tons, was stuck at the southern entrance to the Suez Canal during its voyage to the Dutch port of Rotterdam.
The Canal Authority demanded compensation of more than 900 million dollars to cover the flotation efforts of the ship and other losses, but it reduced the required amount to 550 million dollars.
The authority seized the ship by court order, which sparked disputes with the Japanese company, Shui Kesen, which owns the ship and its insurance companies.
The ship, and its Indian crew, were held in the Great Bitter Lake that separates the two sectors of the canal for more than three months, since the successful flotation operation.
After lengthy talks, an undisclosed settlement was reached between the two parties. However, the head of the Suez Canal Authority said, in media statements, that the amount of compensation was not far from 500 million dollars.